Many of us are quite familiar with popular internet speed testing services. You may have seen some of these sites before, such as Speedtest.net.
These speed test apps or websites allow you to test your upload and download bandwidth, which provides you with some insights regarding the quality of your connection to the Internet. How accurate are they?
Unfortunately, they are often misleading. Sometimes, the internet speed test is not accurate because the method of using the service is not the best, but often it is due to unnoticed detail.
What is a good internet speed?
The following figures provided by the Nitro Office speed test application reflect the download speed and explain what is required for various tasks.
- 2-4 Mbps: Suitable for normal web browsing, including email verification. Fixed-definition video streaming may be sufficient, but these slow-paced airports generally do not recommend passengers streaming video or downloading content.
- 4-6 Mbps: Provides a good web browsing experience. 720p is often enough to stream high-definition video, and at this speed, some videos can be downloaded in about 20 minutes. However, 4 Mbps may still be sluggish.
- 6-10 Mbps: Generally a better web browsing experience. Usually enough to stream a 1080p (high-definition) video.
- 10-20 Mbps: Ideal for “super users” who want a reliable experience to stream content and/or download fast.
- 20+ Mbps: People who usually want to run a lot of apps at once for business reasons.
Things to make your test accurate
Below are the two most important things you can do to make sure your internet speed tests are as accurate as possible.
1. Always restart your modem and router prior to testing .
Restart is a standard first step advice for every technical problem, but it is an excellent performance step, especially with routers and high-speed digital modems. Modem and router that work together to access your computers and other devices on the Internet.
Just like your computer’s smartphone, various things prevent it from running overtime. With modems and routers, those issues can sometimes manifest themselves as sluggish web browsing and movie streaming.
After we have completed the most accurate internet speed test, restarting your modem and router will often help both of you to return to the full working position, doing so makes a lot of sense.
2. Do not use the Internet for anything else
Even if you have already thought about this, you should keep in mind, when testing your internet speed, do not use the Internet for other things when you are testing it. Obviously, this means a dozen other windows should not open on your computer but look at other things you can take when you use the Internet a lot.
Some things to keep in mind include background music services, downloading links via Windows Update, and Netflix streaming on another room TV.
Don’t forget mobile devices too. Most smart phones connect automatically to your wireless network when in range, so enabling airplane mode during your test is a great idea. Assume you are not verifying from your phone.